Monday, February 11, 2013

Running quakelive on GNU/Linux

After getting a decent video card, the next obvious thing to do is to at least try it with a game...

quakelive.com is a nice one! (lots of actual free games out there to try to though)

I'm using debian, so I'll use iceweasel instead of firefox.

1. run iceweasel
2. go to quakelive.com and register + get the plugin file (QuakeLivePlugin_520.xpi)
3. mkdir -p ~/temp/quakelive; cd ~/temp/quakelive; unzip QuakeLivePlugin_520.xpi; cd ./plugins
4. depeneding on your architecture, copy the file npquakelive.i386.so or npquakelive.x64.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins
5. restart iceweasel
6. go to quakelive.com again, and it'll say plugin OK and start downloading the rest of the game! After that you'll be able to play.


1 comment:

  1. Hi I am very glad to find your blog by the keyword "working at rakuten". I got an offer recently and very struggling between this and my current job. I can see the opportunity but in the meanwhile most of my Japanese frds suggest me stay in a stable Japanese company.
    Can I contact you privately and ask u more information abt rakuten? I have only 2 days left to think abt it. Will be very appreciative if you can do me this favor.

    ReplyDelete